Suspected Bondi Beach Gunmen Acted Alone and Did Not Undergo Training in the Southeast Asian Nation, Police State.
The pair of accused gunmen responsible for the fatal shooting at a Hanukkah celebration on Bondi Beach, which claimed 15 lives, appear to have operated independently, according to Australian law enforcement.
Authorities additionally revealed that Sajid Akram, 50, and his 24-year-old son Naveed Akram, 24, journeyed to the Philippines on 1 November. Their itinerary involved arriving in the main city Manila before connecting on the day of arrival to Davao City. The father and son flew back to Sydney on 29 November.
Lack of Proof of Training During Trip
Investigators assert the individuals did not undergo any type of attack-related instruction or "planning" during their visit in the Philippines. Early investigations from Philippine authorities point to they "hardly ventured out of" their hotel.
The attack—described as Australia's deadliest firearm massacre since 1996—has been formally classified as a terrorist incident.
"We are currently examining the evidence," the commissioner said, explaining that preliminary assessments suggest that "these individuals are alleged to have operated independently."
National law enforcement Chief Krissy Barrett briefed reporters on Tuesday that surveillance material documenting the accused attackers' activities in the Philippines had been submitted to domestic investigators.
"There is no evidence to support the idea these accused individuals were members of a larger organization, or were acting on orders from external parties to carry out an incident," Commissioner Barrett stated.
However, the men were also not necessarily in the Philippines on a leisure trip, Commissioner Barrett added. She emphasized that, as the probe is continuing, fresh information could emerge.
Motivation and Court Charges
Earlier, Australian leader Anthony Albanese said it seems both alleged attackers were "inspired by ISIS" extremist views.
During the incident, Sajid Akram was shot dead by responding officers. He and his son Naveed—reportedly carrying rifles—allegedly targeted participants at the Hanukkah celebration.
Naveed Akram, who was wounded after the shooting, has been charged with 59 crimes. These comprise 15 charges of murder and one count of perpetrating a act of terrorism. He is due to appear in court in April.
Travel Information
In the days following the shooting, border authorities in the Philippines reported that the older suspect had arrived in the country using an foreign passport, while his son used an domestic passport.
The two had declared the metropolis of Davao as their final destination. Their scheduled return flight to Australia was for Sydney.
Davao is a expansive urban center on the eastern side of Mindanao, the Philippines' largest southern island. The region is known because, Islamist militants have reportedly be active in impoverished parts of southern and western Mindanao.